Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Rise of the Glamazon

After 2 ½ years of living in Los Angeles (I'm originally from San Diego) I have found myself in a very familiar place. Sitting at home on a Friday night online shopping. Or most recently online faux shopping! Don't act like you haven't done it before! You go to your favorite stores and put items you fall in love with in your cart. And instead of clicking "Submit Order" you just click on the little red "X" in the right hand corner…don't judge me. J

I love to look my best and try out new looks, but sometimes my average salary defines my average looks. Well, as the New Year comes I have decided to push my own personal boundaries and create a better me.
To the fashion world standards I am considered to be plus-size. But to my standards I am considered to be FABULOUS! I have spent way too much time trying to be something I am not, and trying to fit the image everyone else wants me to be. I like to consider myself a GLAMAZON. Yes, you read it correctly, I typed GLAMAZON. I am 5 foot 11 inches and currently I my size is somewhere between a 14-16, plus I wear a size 11 shoe. Because I am smaller on top and heavier on the bottom, I have the luxury of being able to "shop on both sizes of the fence". I usually have to get my pants in the plus-size section (making sure they're tall of course) and I can get my tops in the "regular" sections of stores. This usually gives me more options on what I can choose. But not always. The best thing I have learned in my quest for what looks best is tailoring! If I find something I love and it doesn't fit the way I know it should, I take it to the tailor. Buying something a little big works best, because now my tailor has more room to work with.

Lately shopping for shoes has gotten a lot better. With the rise of celebrities with bigger feet (thank you Paris Hilton and Wendy Williams), shoe designers have realized that making something other than a wide orthopedic shoe or sneaker would be in the best for their business. I don't always find what I am looking for, but I would be lying if I said that they weren't out there.

I have always dressed to my figure and tried to be more daring in my fashion choices, but often times the chatter of insecurities speak so loudly that they take over. Well no more! The time has come for me to tell the insecurities to zip it and take some fashion chances.

I'm using this blog to document what I think looks great, in addition to any beauty tips I discover. Mainly I want to challenge myself in my fashion choices. I have decided that it is time for me to dress how I feel and try some new ideas! Plus, spending Friday nights faux shopping can only last for so long. J


"If you can't beat them, dress better than them." Anna Wintour

Post a Comment

© The Simple Glamazon. Design by FCD.