Tuesday, October 16, 2018

What to Wear to Work

Ponte Pants: Old Navy//T-Shirt: Old Navy//Blazer: Banana Republic (Similar)
Mules: Halogen//Sunnies: Quay

I recently overheard a conversation while I was at work. Two women in my department were talking about how much they loved someone's dress. They also mentioned that when they first started working for the company, years ago, that women dressed so differently in the office. There were more suits and dresses than they see now. This made me think. What should we be wearing to work? And, what difference does it make what I choose to wear to work? If I choose to wear a dress one day and pants the other does it mean my work has any less value? Does this mean I don't perform at my best when I'm not in a suit? Absolutely not! Expectations of what women should wear in a corporate setting has changed so much. Expectations of what men should wear has changed too. 

I work in an office where men don't wear suits everyday. I often see a pair of slacks with a polo shirt. I don't see ties. I don't see jackets and I RARELY see suits! 

Don't get me wrong, your girl loves looking like a boss when I need to, but why is the expectation for women still so different? It really shouldn't be. Honestly I would prefer to wear something much more comfortable to work everyday but that's not reality. Trust me, I love getting dressed everyday and feeling great with what I have on, but the truth is we judge each other based on how we are dressed. I am guilty of it and in the workplace it happens way too often.

As a black woman in a corporate office where the percentage of minorities is low, I have to be very cognizant of what I wear, how I choose to wear my hair, and even the makeup I put on. I have to be mindful of stereotypes when I get dressed in the morning. I also have to consider what meetings I have for the day to make sure what I've chosen to wear is "appropriate".

Personally I like to start off my week a little more professional and progressively get casual throughout the week. By Friday I'm usually in jeans and a blazer. (And you know how much I love a blazer! Check out some old posts here and here

Here's something to keep in mind when you get dressed daily for work. Wear what makes you feel confident. Wear what makes you feel like you. Whether that is heels and dress or trousers and a  blazer what you have chosen to wear should have no reflection on how you perform in your role.
 photo Courtney_zpsa7ea05a2.png
Blazer: Lane Bryant//Ponte Pants: Old Navy//T-shirt: Old Navy//Heels: Moda (Similar

Blazer: Banana Republic//Jumpsuit: ASOS//Sunnies: Amazon//Loafers: JustFab

Post a Comment

© The Simple Glamazon. Design by FCD.